Graphite Online Course: detailed information

See below the answers to the most important and common questions. If you have further questions, do not hesitate to send me an e-mail.


How is this course formatted?

There are four lessons recorded in videos that constitute the first module, all on YouTube. The first lesson is already available for free and aims to support and complement the study of the guidebook, which is also available for free. The attendees may sign up either to have full access to the videos only or else to have my assistance as well during their practice. 

When will the next group attendance start and when can I join the group?

There is no group attendance. Students do not need to join groups because the course is entirely individual. New attendees may sign up whenever they wish. Even after subscribing, the students are free to take their time and begin to practice whenever they are ready since there is no deadline whatsoever.

How can I watch the free video lesson and download the guidebook?

Access the links to the video here (remember to enable English subtitles) and to the guidebook here. Warning: it may be impossible to download the guidebook to a mobile phone. Use a desktop instead – a PC or notebook. Be aware that the visualization on the website does not provide a good resolution. You must download the file to obtain high quality and maximum resolution. After the download, you must use good software to open the file, like Acrobat Reader for example, because there are several applications that may not display the PDF file with its full resolution.

I accessed the free video on YouTube, but there are no subtitles. What should I do?

The subtitles are not automatically displayed on YouTube, you need to turn them on. You can learn here how to enable captions on your mobile phone, and here how to do it using your PC or notebook.

I opened the link to the guidebook but I can not find the button to download it. Can you help?

Yes, the button is kind of hidden on the platform for whatever reason. As I warned above, you need to open it on your desktop, not on a mobile phone. The link I provided above or anywhere leads you to a folder on the Dropbox website called "Translations", where you find both my guidebooks which are translated into English so far. On the right side of your screen, search for the three dots beside each file. Click on them and one of the options should be "download". Should you not be able to download even so, please send me an e-mail and let me know.

May I have access to the supplies list?

Yes, it is available as section 3 of the guidebook, the last one. It is quite detailed, with some hints and discussions.

Is there any prerequisite?

A basic understanding of observational drawing is welcome but not indispensable, as there are manners of copying the contour of objects by tracing them over photos. The teachings address in detail solely the graphite technique and its use though, i.e. how to observe and recognize shades and light, and how to correctly represent that. That is, observational drawing and apprehension of forms are not addressed in this course.

Is this course appropriate for beginners too? Or only for those who have some practical experience with illustration and graphite?

It is appropriate to everyone, either to develop the skills of beginners that have no experience whatsoever or to improve the craftsmanship of practitioners with a large experience with graphite and/or other techniques.

The experienced artists are invited to self-assess their own skills before signing up and then decide whether they want to start by the first module. The references for this assessment are available in the detailed course content which can be found here, and also based on the first video freely available here. If you feel uncomfortable or unable to do the self-assessment, please consider sending me some samples of your artworks so that I can make suggestions on what would be the best choice for you. 

Are the videos spoken in English?

No, they are spoken in Portuguese with English subtitles. I invite you to watch the first video available for free before signing up so that you can decide whether you feel comfortable having to read captions in video classes.

How can I get the teacher’s assistance?

In the modality of the course with advisory, the attendee receives my personal assistance and guidance through videos that I send via WhatsApp, e-mail, or any other tool available.

How does the process of assistance happen?

The student sends me photos or videos of the results achieved during the practice, and I reply by sending videos with assessment, comments, corrections, tips, and eventual demonstrations whenever necessary.

Are the videos of the assistance subtitled too?

No, I speak English in my advisories for English speakers.

Can I have live sessions for the teacher's advisory if I need or want?

Yes, whenever we feel the need for that, we can join live and have a conversation. From my experience, this need usually does not arise in this course, but I have no objection whatsoever to making live sessions. 

When does the assistance take place?

On average I reply on the same day or the next after the students send me the results of their practice. Exceptionally I may take 48 hours for whatever reason, but no more than that. Either way, I always keep clear and consistent communication with the student.

How long may I take to send the results of my practices?

As much as you need, you are free to take your time, for there is no deadline and your access to the videos will be maintained.

How many video lessons are there and how long does each take?

There are four video classes, the first is offered for free and is already available, with 48 minutes long. The second is 26 minutes long, the third is 42 minutes and the fourth is 78 minutes long.

How long may I take to watch the videos in the modality without assistance?

As much as you need. You will not have to meet any deadline. Students remain able to watch the videos over and over again so many times as they need because their access is kept open. Everything can be done at the student’s best convenience.

What is the content of each video lesson?

Click here to learn more about that.

How long do students usually take to accomplish each task?

It depends on each individual's rhythm. All exercises proposed have different degrees of complexity. But if we would take into account the total amount of time practicing (pencil on work, effectively), each task can be done in just a few hours: the guidebook exercises may take about 1.5 hour; the exercise of the first video may be done in 1 to 3 hours; the second exercise in 2 to 4 hours and the third in 3 to 6 hours.

Is there a step-by-step demonstration in the video classes?

Yes, just like the first free video class, all ensuing classes provide detailed and very well explained demonstrations, and the student can and should practice while watching or rewatching them.

May I purchase only access to the videos, without the teacher’s assistance?

Yes, in the modality without assistance, the course has quite a lower cost.

May I purchase only one class at a time?

Yes, it is possible to purchase single classes, either in the modality with assistance or not. But the complete packages for both modalities have quite lower a cost per class than the single classes acquired separately.

What is the cost of the course?

See below the prices for all different choices, listed in Dollars from the United States of America. If you live or were born in a poor country, you may be eligible to get a substantial discount, to be informed by email.

Single video class without advisory: US$ 25 

Single video class with the teacher's advisory: US$ 55

Package of 4 video classes (first for free) without advisory (access to videos only): US$ 65

Package of 4 video classes (first for free) with the teachers advisory: US$ 140

How can the payment be done?

I am based in Brazil and the payment can be done via Paypal (preferentially), or also Transferwise, Xoom... whatever digital means you prefer.  Feel free to ask me for further information in case you need it to fill the forms required by the platform of your preference. Unfortunately, I am not able to receive international payment via any other means other than digital.

How should I proceed to sign up and accomplish the payment?

Send me an e-mail, please.
 
Keep in mind that I always respond to e-mails on the same day or some 24 hours later at the most. If you do not receive any answer, please resend the message or rather try using another account, since all e-mail servers may fail sometimes. 

I shall reply as soon as possible asking you for some personal information and, if you are determined to sign up, you will receive the payment request via Paypal. Should you prefer using any different digital platform to send me the payment, please double-check the personal data you will need from me according to the demands of the platform of your preference, and ask me whatever you need.

Can you emit an invoice?

Yes, please let me know whether it is necessary for you. As an “Individual Micro-Entrepreneur” in Brazil, the emission of the invoice is not mandatory. Thus, if it is not essential, I will send you a simple document registering the receipt of payment.

Do you furnish a certificate?

Yes, at the end of each module (i.e. every four classes), the students that accomplish all tasks receive a certificate of conclusion.

Can I continue the course after those four lessons/exercises?

Yes, but there is a condition: the student must have the teacher’s assistance all throughout the first module. As soon as it is concluded, the student can purchase a new package of four classes, which I call “improvement module”.

Are there videos recorded on YouTube for the sequential modules too?

No, from the second module onward, there are no prerecorded video lessons, thus the only modality available for the improvement modules is that with the teacher’s advisory. The treatment with students is totally personalized at that stage and the practitioner decides what to illustrate next. However, only in the first module can the first lesson be offered for free, hence the price from the second module onward raises a little bit.

What is the cost of the improvement modules?

US$ 185 (American Dollars) for every new package of four classes after the first module, and I emphasize that the course at this stage works solely with the teacher’s personal assistance, as there are no videos recorded. I remark also that the students have wide freedom to choose whatever they want to study at this stage. 

May I purchase single classes from the improvement modules also?

Yes, it is possible. In the improvement phase, you can also purchase single classes or even packages with only two classes, as you will. Send me an e-mail so that I can inform you of the prices in such cases.

What will constitute <one class> in these sequential modules of four classes?

One class or one advisory consists of 3 steps as described below. Usually, these are the steps necessary for the practitioner to conclude the study of one object not too complicated:

1- Some photos of objects selected by the student must be sent to the teacher. I assess the objects, their position, and light in the picture, and give tips on what the best choices could be and how to start the drawing.

2- When half the work is done, photos of the drawing must be sent to the teacher. I make corrections and give further hints on how to continue the work.

3- As the drawing is finished, photos of it must be sent again so that I comment and make eventual final corrections.

Do these three steps constitute the complete improvement module?

No! These three interactions constitute only ONE class within a total of FOUR. The improvement modules consist of FOUR classes, that is, four times what is described above. Whenever needed though, the student may use two or more classes to study and illustrate solely one object (emphasizing that one class equals the three steps above). Eventually, all four classes may be spent with the study of one only object with higher complexity. In such a case, the illustration of one object alone may take all twelve interactions (four classes).

What does all this mean in terms of the time of interaction?

The three interactions may take about 15-20 minutes each, i.e. 'one class' consists of 45-60 minutes of interaction. The four classes - i.e. the complete module - thus consist of four hours of interaction, more or less.

I have already attended your traditional classroom course on Graphite, do I need to go through the first module too?

No, everyone who attended my traditional classroom Graphite Course has already accomplished the goal of this online course’s first module, as the program is exactly the same for both. These students should begin right away by the second module, thus proceeding to the improvement program.

May I learn and practice a technique other than graphite in the improvement modules?

Yes, provided that you choose something that keeps some correlation with the graphite technique, whether regarding its language (black and white, grayscales) and/or its mode of application (some kind of lead on paper). 

Additionally, the technique chosen needs to allow good adequacy for my online assistance. In this sense, techniques like colored pencils, white and grey colored pencils on toned paper, pen nib and ink, pastels, all fit in those prerequisites. Yet techniques such as watercolors, acrylics, gouache, scraperboard etc., are still not on my scope of expertise for distant assistance and, regarding technical aspects, have little correlation with graphite.  

How does the individual assistance work during the improvement modules?

The student chooses some objects to illustrate, takes photos of them in a variety of positions and manners of illumination, and sends me the photos. Then I assess the different objects selected, as well as their position and illumination, to provide some tips on which of them could perform the best model for that specific stage of the practice. Then the student begins the work and, when it is half done, sends me photos of the drawing so that I can assess the progress and give further tips. Finally, the student finishes the drawing, sends me new photos so that I make final comments and eventual corrections or hints about the finishing and refinement of details.

I need to further comprehend some issues and I have additional questions; how can I sort it all out?

Please send me an e-mail and feel free to ask any further questions. 

Be aware that I always reply on the same day or within the next 24 hours, at the most. Should you not get my reply that soon, please try again maybe using another account, and persist because all e-mail servers may fail sometimes.